Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dexter's Big Day (and Night!)

Well, yesterday was a big day for Dexter. We went to visit Dad at his office and met most of the members of the Sigma Aldrich chapter of the Dexter Cooley Fan Club. Dexter was pretty good, although mostly sleepy. He didn't really show off his big smile for anyone, so we'll have to go back sometime when his smile is a little more forthcoming.

After that, we went to Perficient, where, sadly, most of the office was out at client sites. He did get in an OK visit with a few people, though, except he was NOT on his best behavior, mostly being hungry, then eating, then having a giant blowout poop. He did smile for Avichal, though, after all of that was over. (Post-meal and post-poop is usually his happiest time these days.)

THEN we went to pick up food at the weekly co-op pickup. He pretty much slept through that. He was a champ in the car the whole time, which was quite a relief. Last time we went to the co-op, I had to pull over 3 times to soothe and change him.

Apparently it was an absolutely exhausting day, because... Dexter slept through the night! Granted, we're defining "through the night" pretty loosely (9:15 PM - 4:15 AM). Still, he went 8 hours between feedings and slept for 7 hours straight! If we'd been a bit smarter and managed to start that 8 hours at 11:00 PM, everyone would call it "through the night."

Of course, this does not mean that his Mom and Dad slept that long. I woke up panicked at 2:30 AM (having retired at about 11:00) wondering why I was waking myself up instead of being awakened. But sure enough, he was still breathing. I checked on him again twice more before he woke up for real at 4:15, when he got a diaper change and took a bottle before quickly falling back asleep at about 4:50 (and he slept until about 8:30). Easily his best night yet.

I tried to make today as tiring as possible so he would get a long sleep again, but I'm not sure it's going to work. He fell asleep halfway through his bedtime bottle, so he may not make it very long.

Here's a clip of our favorite new game ("Nose/Chin/Ears"), which is what we did for most of the day to wear him out. (Well, this and tummy time, which is absolutely exhausting, let me tell you.)



(Yeah. I know that 2 minutes of "Nose/Chin/Ears" is way too much for most people. But how could I possibly edit out any of those beautiful smiles?!)

No comments: