Thursday, June 25, 2009

Dexter's First Ear Infection :(

And it's a two-fer!

He's generally not been well since he started day care. Lots of congestion, coughs that would come and go. This week and last, he was just sleeping very poorly and not really his usual HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY self. Although he never did have fever, I decided it was time to at least check in with the pediatrician and make sure we were doing everything for him that made sense.

Sure enough, ear infections in both ears. (Apparently eye discharge is a big clue - that's a symptom that's really just popped up in the last couple of days.) The pediatrician said they're maybe a 5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10, so not too bad, and they haven't been infected for weeks and weeks or anything. We got some of the famous pink liquid antibiotic, one teaspoon of which Dexter will take twice/day for 10 days. His first dose went down tonight with no problems (thanks in part to Target's fine pharmacy, which added grape flavoring for no extra charge).

I guess we were lucky he made it this long in daycare (about 8 weeks) without any major illnesses. He's still pretty happy, and I am looking forward to having him back to 100% after his 10 days are up.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh, ear infections are the worst. I had them all the time when I was little, and my mom said it was just terrible. I got one again in college, and I just cried and cried it hurt so bad.

Good for you for going with your mom instincts and taking him to the doctor.